Saturday, September 29, 2012

Why don't people say what they mean?

I spent 45 minutes yesterday trying to figure out what the term "a methodist in epistemology" meant.  It was in an article I was reading for school and I kind of thought I would be able to figure it out based on the context of the article but, 30 minutes later I still had NO IDEA what the article was about!  Wasn't a methodist a Christian denomination?  LIke Lutheran or Presbyterian?  I mean this is seminary right?  It must have a Christian meaning.  But that wasn't making sense.  So finally I googled each individual word and the best I can figure out it means "someone who thinks there is a method to gaining knowledge".  So why didn't they just say that!!!

Why don't people just say what they mean?

I spend WAY too much of my life trying to figure out what people REALLY mean by the words that they say.  

It happens everywhere, not just at school.  It happens with my family, with friends, at church.  Sometimes its just people being polite, sometimes it's sarcasm, and sometimes it's something else.  Now don't get me wrong.  I think it is important to be polite and no one enjoys sarcasm more than me.  It's the other stuff that bothers me.  Talking over someone, down to someone, around someone.  Intentionally making someone misunderstand you.  You know it happens.  Too often.

I'm a pretty straight forward kind of gal.  I generally tell it like it is, and yes this gets me into trouble more often than I would like.  But I still, inherently, think people should say what they mean.  

The Proverbs have a lot to say about this.  And though some might think the author of Proverbs was the perfect example (I had a much bigger word planned to use there but I didn't want to talk over anyone and frankly don't know how to spell it!) of talking around what you are really trying to say.  I find him to be very straightforward.

"The words of the wicked lie in wait for blood, but the speech of the upright rescues them." Prov 12:6
"An evil man is trapped by his sinful talk, but a righteous man escapes trouble." Prov 12:13
"From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things.."Prov 12:14
"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Prov 12:18
"Truthful lips endure forever but a lying tongue lasts only a moment." Prov 12:19
"The Lord detests lying lips, by he delights in men who are truthful." Prov 12: 22

And that was only 1 chapter.  

We are called to speak in words of love and truth to each.  To live in honesty with each other.  We are called to be like Jesus.  

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29 

No comments:

Post a Comment