Friday, September 7, 2012

Thoughts From Haiti Part 4



The sheer number of orphaned and abandoned children in Haiti, not to mention the all-consuming poverty of an entire nation, was simply overwhelming.  There is no possible way that one person can make any significant difference, at least no way on this Earth.  The challenge set before us this past week was not to change a nation, nor save an entire generations of children, but simply to make a difference in the life of just one.  The one that God put before you in that moment.  Make a difference in THAT life.

So we did.  We held babies (and big kids).  We looked children in the eyes and told them they were loved!  We held hands, painted faces, did crafts and played...and played...and played with children who had no one else.  Sometimes an interaction with a child lasted only moments and sometimes it lasted hours.  The length of time with the child didn't change the mission...love the one in front of you, just that one.  

Those of you who know me know I am a passionate girl.  I long to do BIG things for Christ.  I can not wait for Him to use me in big ways.  But the thought occurred to me last week that I get so caught up waiting to do the BIG things for God that I completely miss the little ones He puts in my path.  

I was convicted of this over and over again during my time in Haiti.  We didn't build anything, clean up anything, or fix anything.  All we did was spread a little love.  All I am called to do, ALL I CAN DO, is love the one God puts in front of me.  It doesn't matter if that one is in Haiti or in Kansas City.  I am called to love them with the love of Christ, whole-hearted, eyeball to eyeball, fully devoted love.

I will never change a nation.  I will never save an entire generation of children of children, but I can make a difference in the life of the one God puts before me.  I called to serve just that one.



No comments:

Post a Comment