Monday, October 15, 2012

Theology 101

OK, so technically its Theology 515.  But it is basically an intro level theology class, "The Christian Faith and the Apostle's Creed".  I have taken my fair share of classes in my life time, and this is by far the most challenging one I have participated in.  Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying this class.  I have learned more than I ever thought I would.  

I have learned why I think the scriptures are infallible, I have learned the importance of the creeds to the Christian Faith, I have learned what ancient theologians thought about God, Christ, the church and salvation.  I have learned that Jesus has 2 natures, 1 person, 1 personality, 2 wills.  He is one hypostasis of the homoousis of the triune God, brought together by hypostatic union.  (If you know your theology and know that I just blew that last statement, please don't tell me.  I'm feeling pretty smart right now!) I also know, and this has been discussed at length in my theology class, that head knowledge of God can NEVER replace or be considered more important than a heart connection with God.

I have been completely submersed in head knowledge of God for the last 5 weeks and I found myself DESPERATE for a heart connection with him this weekend.  And here is what I love so much about God... I got it.  That heart connection with Him that I crave so much.  That feeling I get when I talk to Him and can feel Him answer me, maybe not with words, but with His Spirit, inside me.  Laying in bed at 11:00 at night, exhausted, spent and somehow lonely even with 11 other people sleeping in my house.  I cried out to God and He answered.  Just like He always does.  I seriously love that God!!!

In all that I have learned the past 5 weeks, and all I have left to learn the rest of this semester and the MANY semesters after this one.  I don't EVER want to forget this lesson.  A heart connection trumps academic knowledge EVERY TIME!!!  And He is there for me, in the academics AND in my heart, every time I need him!

"You will seek me, and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  Jeremiah 29:13

No comments:

Post a Comment