Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Way Everlasting

What do you do when you know it's time?  

You've held out as long as you can, but it's time.

You've made every excuse under the sun, even created a few new ones.  But there are no excuses left.

There is no more procrastinating, no more stalling, no more maybe laters, the time is now.

It's time to pray the hard prayer.  The one you knew was coming but have held off praying because you were afraid of the answer.

The prayer that you know just might change everything.  And you are really, REALLY scared of what that change might look like.  

Have you ever been there?

I felt this for the first time 2 years ago.  I was sitting at my kitchen table doing a bible study and I was urged to pray  Psalm 139:23-24.

                               "Search me, O God, and know my heart;
                                test me and know my anxious thoughts.
                                See if there is any offensive way in me, 
                                and lead me in the way everlasting."

Here's the problem, I was a little afraid of what God might find if I asked Him to look in my heart (I know, I know, He already knew what was in my heart, but I wasn't proud of it), and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be able to pass ANY kind of test He put before me.  And as far as offensive ways in me?  Well, there was plenty to choose from.  

Why would I pray this knowing I was going to fail?  Knowing my heart was ugly, I wouldn't pass the test and just about everything about me was offensive!!  What was this author thinking?!?

After sitting there at the table for quite some time, I did it.  I prayed the prayer.  I cried most of the way through, as I have a tendency to do, but I got through it.  And you know what happened at end of that prayer? Something utterly amazing, I heard the voice of God for the very first time in my life. 

 I was 35 years old, sitting at my kitchen table and I heard the Spirit of God speaking into my heart for the very first time.  You know what he said?  He said, my heart was pure, I had passed the test and he was already leading me in the way everlasting.   He said some other stuff too but that's just between God and I.  

The time has come dear friend.  It might not be THIS prayer, but there is a prayer you have been needing to pray.  Maybe you need to pray a prayer of true repentance, maybe you need to forgive someone.  Maybe you need to ask Christ into your heart for the very first time or give your life to Him all over again.  Or maybe, like me, you need to pray Psalm 139:23-24. Whatever it might be, I know it scares you.  Trust me, I know.  I've been there.  But I urge you to pray it!  I promise God will not disappoint you.  He only wants His very best for you.  

and He will lead you in the way everlasting...


No comments:

Post a Comment