Thursday, January 3, 2013

Psalms 1:1-2

So think of me what you will.  But if I am perfectly honest, and I do try to be.  I'm not really a HUGE fan of the Psalms.  I know, I know there is SO much good stuff in them, but honestly, they intimidate me. 

To begin with, there is A LOT of them, like 150 of them (yes I'm sure you already knew that, but that's A LOT)!!  Then there is the fact that I have yet to be chased down by my enemy (or by my own child for that matter, don't worry I'm sure that day will eventually come) and forced to hide out in a cave.  So some of them just don't feel all that applicable to me.  

I recognize this chip on my shoulder, and so I  diligently try to open my mind and listen to what God is trying to teach me with each Psalm I read.  And just like God, as I started to read Psalm 1 this week I felt some of that chip fall away as God spoke straight into my heart.  

"Blessed is the man...(whose) delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law
 he meditates day and night."

I find myself "meditating" on a lot of things throughout the day, and even as I go to bed at night, the endless lists that never get done, worries about the kids and all the things I'm doing wrong in the process of raising them, that new book I just can't put down.  But how much time do I honestly spend meditating on God's law, his word and his promises?  I'm gonna go with not enough.  

We live in a society full of distractions, things that pull our minds, time and attention away from God.  Most of those distractions are not bad things, in fact, many of them are good things.  But too many good things become a bad thing when God only gets what is left of us, because frankly there is just not much left of me at the end of the day that's really worth anything.  

I'm thinking that if I spent more time focused on God, meditating on His word, then all the other things that fill my mind and overwhelm me by the end of the day, might not be so overwhelming.  It's worth a try, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment