Friday, January 18, 2013

Psalm 19

Living life as a Christian isn't always easy.  

Of course God never said it was going to be.

I don't face persecution like my ancestors did before me.  I do not have to hide for fear of my life or safety for my family as too many people do in other countries.  I am safe to live out my faith any way I choose and rarely do I face ridicule for it.  So what makes it so hard for me?

I am by nature a social person, I long to fit in, I hate to be excluded. So when I am told that my life SHOULD look different then those around me, that's hard for me.  There are so many things around me every day that are culturally relevant and socially acceptable but I am called to say no to them:  neighborhood gossip, husband- bashing, constant complaining, me-first attitudes.  These seem to be around me everywhere I go and for someone who longs to fit in as much as I do it is VERY hard for me to walk away when these things show up.  

But that is what I am called to do.  Because I am a Christian.

God never said it was going to be easy.

But he does say that His way, the Law of the Lord, is perfect.

He says His statutes are trustworthy.  

His precepts are right and bring joy to the heart.

He says, HIs commands are radiant and His ordinances are altogether righteous, more precious than gold, sweeter than honey.  

He says there is a great reward in keeping them.

And I believe him.  I believe what he says is true.  More true than the gossip in the neighborhood, the complaints and husband bashing.  More true than the me-first attitude I can so easily get sucked into it.  

And so I will live by His word and not by the word of the culture around me.  I will do my best to be blameless, innocent of great transgressions.

"May the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

To see more of God's promises about living life his way check out all of Psalm 19.

No comments:

Post a Comment