Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Fine China? or an Every Day Plate?

Are you fine china or are you an every day plate?

Kind of an odd question isn't it?

Yesterday, as I was reading Romans chapter 9, I was struck by verse 21.  I'm sure I've read it before but I guess I never really noticed it (I probably shouldn't admit that, huh?).  Well it says in Romans 9:21, "Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?"(NIV)  Well, of course he does!  But it made me kind of wonder which one I was.  Was I created for noble purposes or have I been made for common use?  Am I fine china or an everyday plate?

The point of Paul's comment is that God is the creator, we are the created and we do not get to question the way he made us.  That is up to God and his infinite wisdom.  But how many times have I questioned God, "Why did you make me like this?"  "Wouldn't it have been so much easier if you just made me like _____?" (feel free to fill in the blank). 

Of course just before verse 21 comes verse 20, "But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?'".  Oh.  Umm.  Oops.

So the Bible clearly states that I should NOT do what I just did, have done for a while now.  I don't get to question the way God made me.  He made me with all my imperfections for a reason.   As I struggle to overcome the MANY qualities God gave me that I would rather NOT have, qualities that must certainly make me an everyday plate instead of fine china,  I have to remember that God did not make a mistake.  THIS is the way he made me, on purpose.  Sure I have done plenty to add to the chips and imperfections this common, every day plate has.  But I need to remember that he is not done with me yet.  And maybe, just maybe this every day plate will someday get set at a banquet, a banquet made for a King, right next to the finest of china!

No comments:

Post a Comment