Monday, July 29, 2013

Change is Hard

You have heard it said before, the only constant in life is change.

And it seems to be the case that change often comes in pairs.  Right now we seem to be surrounded by change.  Not necessarily in our own life, but in the lives of people we love.

In the last couple of months, 3 of our neighbors have moved away (I hope it's not us!).  One of them just left last night.  7 hours behind schedule, 1 extra pull behind trailer, and a few more things left behind, they drove off into the sunset headed to Colorado.  While family and friends stood there waving them on, trying not to cry.

Change is hard.

Next weekend my sons best friend also moves away.  This is a family we have known for over a decade.  A family that is one of our closest friends, even though we don't see them nearly enough.  We used to live 3 houses down from each other.  Our boys have known each other literally their whole lives, Nate (age 3 months) met Drew the day he came home from the hospital and they have been soul mates ever since.  They have known each other 9 years and I have never seen them fight.  Not once.  

Lisa (the mom) has been a constant source of wisdom and guidance in my life.  Marc (the dad) is a great friend of my husband.  This a family who lived with us for a time when they were transitioning to and from a 2 year overseas mission job.  They are family.  

Change is hard.

Yet change is inevitable.  As much as I wish each of these families would stay, I know they can't.  That isn't part of the plan.   They need to leave.  I understand that.  It's just hard.  One of these families we see almost everyday.  The other I rely in a way that is hard to put into words.  They are both a part of our life and them leaving will change things.  

And change is hard.

But change is also good.  We need change.  Kids need to grow.  Adults need to mature.  People move up in jobs.  And sometimes God calls us to new places.  We can't be so afraid of change that we miss what God has planned for us.  I will these friends dearly, but I know they are doing what they need to do.  Going where they need to go.  And I wish them nothing but the best in what lies ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment