Thursday, July 18, 2013

Me, Myself and I

I...

I...me...myself...mine

I want...I need...I wish...I don't have...I didn't get...

My kids...my husband...my dog...my life


You know what?  It's not about me.

I have been absolutely convicted of my own self obsession in the last few weeks.  I have seen the selfish person I am, and it is not pretty.  It's ugly, horrific, and at times all consuming.

As it turns out, this life that God gave me, is not all about me.  

It's about me, glorifying him. 

Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy him forever.  This is what the doctrine of my faith states.  This is the purpose of life, even my life.  

In John 3:30 John the Baptist is quoted as saying, "He must become greater, I must become less." John the Baptist was an amazing man.  His time here on Earth was spent in sacrifice.  He sacrificed basic comforts to live in the wilderness, he sacrificed fine clothing, wearing clothing made of camels hair and a simple leather belt.  He sacrificed fine foods, eating locust and wild honey.  He sacrificed popularity, and was clearly one of the outsiders.  He knew his life was not about him.  Yet here we are 2000 years later quoting him, reading about him, and studying about him.  Perhaps this man, living on the edge of society knew something we haven't yet figured out.

He must become greater, we must become less.

This goes against the very grain of American culture.  This is a society where "I" and "me" are 2 of the most common words spoken. This is a "me first", "I did it all by myself" society.  And we are not encouraged to make ANYTHING greater than us.  Moms are encouraged to put their needs above the needs of their children, employees put their needs above those of the job, spouses put their own needs above those of their partners.  I am not implying that moms don't have needs that should be addressed or that jobs should rule our lives.  What I AM saying is that we have been ingrained with the idea that what I need or want or desire is THE MOST important thing.  And I am here to tell you that it's not!!  This life that you are living, ironically, is not about you!

I know that is harsh.  I may have just greatly offended you.  And if I did, I am deeply sorry.  I am.  

But what I said is true.  Even if you don't like it.  

The life that you are living right now is not about you.  But it is also not about your children, your job or your spouse.  It is about your creator.  The one who loves you.  The one who made you.  The one who created you to do wonderfully amazing things, for HIS glory, not yours.  

My life is not about me, or my children, or my spouse, or even my dog.  It is about my creator, redeemer and sustainer.  It is about glorifying him in what ever it is I am doing at the time.  And even though my body is tired, my mind is overwhelmed, and my children outweigh my patience, it's not about me.

It's not about me, myself or I.  He must become greater.  I must become less.

No comments:

Post a Comment