Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Two Different Views

Did you know that it is possible for two people to see the exact same thing in two very different ways?

This is one of the realizations I have recently made.

Erik travels for his job.  Sometimes it's a little, sometimes it's a lot.  This summer it has been A LOT!!!  This is the 5th week in a row he has been gone.

When I look at the calendar I see all the days he has been gone.  When he looks at the calendar he sees all the days he has been home.

When I look at the week I see all the activities, conversations, and things he has missed.  When he looks at the week he sees all the things he made it too.

When I look back on the day I see the hours he was gone, the meals he missed.  When he looks back on the day he sees the 15 minutes he spent with the family, the quick phone call or even quicker text.

We are looking at the same thing but we see it very differently.

I keep telling him this wouldn't be a problem if I didn't like him so much.  As it turns out, I absolutely adore the man, so I miss him when he is gone.  And the kids miss him.  And the family is incomplete.  

It's not as obvious during the school year.  When the kids spend the majority of their day at school and activities and I treasure the few hours we get together.  But it is harder in the summer when the kids and I get 12-15 hours together every day, 7 days a week.  Please don't get me wrong, I love my kids!!!  We just really notice when Dad isn't here. 

There are other times in life when two people might see the exact same thing in two very different ways.  

One person might see a beautiful new car as the ultimate joy, something to be desired, coveted and longed for, something worth going deeply into debt for.  Others might see it as a burden, monthly payments that must be met, a material possessions that quickly loses value.

One person might see the big beautiful new house as a symbol of success, proof that they have made it.  Others see it as more rooms to clean and more expense to take care of.

One person might see Christianity as a list of rules that need to be followed.  A way of living that takes away all forms of joy and relaxation.  Others see it as the only way to eternal life, a life of joy and relaxation for all eternity.  

One person might see Jesus as a wise man, a prophet or possibly even the Christ, but not someone who will impact THEIR life.  Other see Jesus as the way, the truth and the life.  A man who gave up everything to ensure THEIR forgiveness, and because of that, they will gladly give up their life here on earth and devote it fully to him.

It is amazing to  me how two people can see the exact same thing in two very different ways.




No comments:

Post a Comment