Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I'm a runner Part 1

I'm a runner.

Honestly, I feel a little bit like I just lied to you.  I do run, but I usually don't consider myself "a runner".  I certainly don't run fast, and honestly I usually don't run far.  On any given day I can think of about 10 other things I would rather do than run!

About 3 years ago I was talking to a friend of mine who is an avid runner, always has been.  She is fit and trim and FAST!  I told her "I wish I could run, runners are in the best shape!"

Her response to me was profound.  "If you want to be a runner, than run."  Really? It's that easy?  All I have to do is run?  She followed with, "You don't have to run far, or fast.  Just run!"

Hmm, wow.  I never thought of it that way.  So I started running.  I wasn't fast.  And I couldn't run far, not at first.  I've been running for almost 3 years now.  I've run 4 half-marathons and am training for my 2nd full marathon.  I still don't run fast and on any given day there are at least 10 other things I would rather do than run.  But I do run.  Because I'm a runner.

I wonder if that holds true for anything else?  If you want to be a writer, then write.  You don't have to be published or have a contract, just write, everyday.  If you want to be a singer than sing, anywhere and everywhere.

What is it that you want to do?  My advice to you is to start doing it.  Wherever you are, whatever level you are at, do it.  It is in the doing that you become great.  Will I ever be a great runner? No probably not, but I will still run, because that's what I do.  I am a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment