Monday, November 18, 2013

The Holidays

Thanksgiving is next week!

The holidays are officially upon us.  

And I couldn't be more excited.  

Yes fall is my favorite time of the year, but that just might be because it is the pre-party, so to speak, for the holidays.  

And yes, I am fully aware there are 2 separate holidays, and Thanksgiving no longer gets it's due, but I just cannot contain my excitement for Christmas this year!  My kids roll their eyes and are a smidge too vocal when they see Christmas decorations out in stores before thanksgiving.  But I love it!  Especially this year! 

I just can't wait to get out my Christmas decorations. To turn on my christmas music.  And It's not because I have my Christmas shopping done early, I don't even know what I am going to get most people.  It has nothing to do with the gifts, or honestly even the decorations.  But for some reason I have this overwhelming excitement for this season this year.  I can't even put into words exactly what I am excited for, I just am. 

It reminds me of the excitement I had when I was waiting for my first child.  I wasn't so naive that I thought it would be as awesome and wonderful as I was hoping it would be.  I knew the birth would be hard.  I knew there would be sleepless nights, and sacrifice, and that sometimes, many times, the reality of parenthood would fall far short of my expectations.  But that didn't stop me from being excited beyond words to meet my child. 

I think, for me, Christmas is very similar.  Once again I find myself anticipating a birth, one that took place over 2000 years ago, but still my excitement is the result of an infant child.  
Once again, I know the reality of Christmas day often falls far below my expectations, but that doesn't keep me from being excited beyond words for it!

Just like the birth of each of my children was a celebration of family, our growing family, christmas is a celebration of that same family, and our bigger families.  Our extended family of grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.  Our church family.  Our family of friends and neighbors.  Yes Christmas comes with an overwhelming list of parties, cookies, and commitments, but behind each one of those commitments is a "family" of people who love you and are loved by you.  That is something worth celebrating.  

This holiday season, instead of rolling your eyes, complaining about your list, or stressing out about getting it all in, embrace it.  Embrace the chaos, it's only for a season.  Enjoy the expectation of it all and let yourself get excited.  Just like the birth of a child, we eagerly look forward to the birth of our savior, that is something to be excited about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment