Monday, June 3, 2013

What It's All About

So, yeah, it's been a while since I posted anything.  Sorry about that.  Who knew my summer intensive would be, well, so intense?

It's not that I haven't been writing, I have been.  Just nothing that you would find real interesting.  I have written a 1500 word paper on my definition of "church".  I have written over 1000 words on a video series I am watching for class.  I have written over 12 (200-500 word) reflections on the 2 books I have read.  And I have written a message on the End of Times I gave to the middle schoolers at church last week.  I have been writing.  Quite frankly, my fingers are a little sore.  Turns out intensive classes really are intense!

But I have also been reading my Bible.  And I so desperately needed to hear what was written in my Bible today.  In the side margin, in the middle of the book of Luke I had written, "It's not what Jesus is going to do for you, it's what He has already done."  Oh how I needed to hear that today!

I had just finished praying, asking God for all kinds of things...patience with the kids, discipline to focus on class, strength to persevere, healing for friends and family who need it, and the list went on.  All the things I needed him to do for me.  I am ashamed to say it, but the list of wants was quite a bit longer than the list of thanks.  Today I got it wrong, because my wants is not what it's about.

Being a Christian isn't about having the inside track with the man upstairs so you can get what you want or need (even when those are really good things).  Being a Christian is about what has already been done.  It's recognizing the price Christ paid, the pain he suffered and the sacrifice he made...for YOU!  It's recognizing that without him, you would be lost.  Doomed to death for the mistakes you have made, will make and are making right now.  

Yes, Christ is there for us today, he wants to hear from us, he wants to help us.  Ask boldly for the things you need but remember, when it comes right down to it.  Christ has already given you the one and only thing you really need, forgiveness.  It's not about what Jesus can do for you now, it's about what he has already done.

No comments:

Post a Comment