Thursday, June 13, 2013

1 Kings 2:2

In the back of my Bible you will find a list.

A list of Bible verses that for whatever reason really grabbed me as I read them.  They are verses I want to go back to, take the time to ponder, and potentially write about.  Today I had a little free time and so I pulled out the list and flipped through my Bible re-reading the verses.  

When I got to 1 Kings 2:2 I knew I had found something I wanted to write about.

It's summer time, and as you may have picked up by now, I am spending a LOT of time with my kids.  Time I treasure.  Time I have enjoyed more this summer than potentially any other summer thus far.  Perhaps it is because they are older and it is easier to do fun things.  Perhaps it is because they have grown into kids I just really like hanging out with (aside from the fact that I am their mother and I have to).  Or perhaps it's because I sense they are getting older and I know this time I have with them is short and I desperately want to store up every moment I have with them. Whatever the reason, the kids and I are having a great summer, and they are very much on my mind.  

So when I re-read  1 Kings 2:2, I knew I wanted to share it with you.  In case you are not familiar with the Old Testament let me give you just a smidge of background.  You probably know who King David was.  He was a man after God's own heart.  He was the youngest son of Jesse and the least likely to become a King, yet that is exactly what he became, the 2nd King of Israel.  You can read all about him in 1 and 2 Samuel.  At the beginning of 1 Kings, David is dying and his son Solomon is about to take his place as King.  I King 2:2 is the charge that King David gives to his son, the future King of Israel.  

"...So be strong, show yourself a man, and observe what the Lord your God requires.  Walk in his ways, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and requirements."

This is what I want to tell my children today.  This is what I want them to know.  This is advice that is fit for a King, a businessman, a teacher, a lawyer or whatever my children choose to be.

Whatever you do...be strong.  Be strong in your faith, be strong in your loyalties, be strong for those who can not be strong themselves.  Be strong when life gets hard and when you want to quit.  Be strong and when you have fought as hard as you can fight, fight some more.  Be strong.

Show yourself to a be man (or women).  Take care of others, do what is right.  When you are wrong, say you are wrong and be humble when you are right.  Take responsibility for your actions and own up to mistakes.  Fight for the less fortunate, care for your family, love your wife, (or your husband) and put them first.

Observe what the Lord requires of you.  He has put you on this Earth to do something that no one else can do.  Figure out what that is and do it to the best of your ability, all for the glory of God.  Sometimes what he requires of you will not be easy, but do it any way.  Sometimes what he requires of you will necessitate sacrifice, but do it any way.  Sometimes what he requires of you means you will do things differently than your friends, but do it anyway.  Do what the Lord requires of you, because no one else on this earth can.

Walk in his ways, keep his decrees and commands, his laws and requirements.  There is only one way to true happiness, true contentment, true fulfillment and that is to walk in the ways of the Lord. He is the way, the truth, and the life.  

This is what I want my kids to know.  This is the charge I give them, just like King David gave to the future King of Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment