Wednesday, March 27, 2013

ALL 10 Commandments

My favorite thing about the Bible in a year plan I am following this year is that it has me in a different book each day.  Yesterday I was in Jeremiah, today finds me in the Gospel of Mark.  The plan definitely isn't for everyone, but for this attention deprived girl it is perfect!

Today Jesus met the rich young man.  I'm sure you know the one.  He wanted to get to Heaven, said he had kept all the commandments, what else would it take?  Turns out he didn't like Jesus answer and ended up walking away sad.  Oh how we can relate right!

But here is what got to me today.  Why did Jesus list out the commandments that he did?  Have you ever thought about this?  The rich young man asked Jesus how he could gain eternal life and Jesus responded by saying, "You know the commandments: Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother."

What about the others?  We all know there were 10 commandments and Jesus only lists 6 of them.  He doesn't even list the one that he himself said was the most important, to have no other gods.  What about that one?  Why didn't Jesus at least mention that one?

The Bible doesn't give us an exact reason but here is what I think (and if there is one thing I know, it's my own opinion!).  I think Jesus knew the commandments that the man had obeyed, and the ones he had not.  

Ask any upstanding citizen (Christian or not) of just about any country and they will tell you it wrong to murder, lie, and steal.  Most people, Christian, Muslim, Jew or Atheist think parents should be honored.  These commandments though given by God and lived out by Jesus are really very universal.  And anyone with any kind of integrity will follow them.  It's the other ones that will get you.  Have no other gods before me.  Do not make for yourself an idol in ANY FORM.  Do not take my name in vain.  Keep the Sabbath day holy.

That is when the commandments get tough.  And those are the ones that, like so many of us, the rich young man was unwilling to obey.  He had other gods, his money his possessions, his status.  They were gods and idols that he worshiped JUST AS MUCH as he worshiped God.   And I think Jesus knew that. 

So he asked him to give up those other gods and idols.  He asked him to follow ALL the commandments, but the rich young man couldn't, he WOULDN"T do that.  

How about you?  Are willing to follow them all?  Are you willing to put down your idols, to stop worshiping the other gods?  Are you willing to be obedient? 

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.  All you have to do is follow him.

To read the story straight from the source go to Mark 10:17-31

No comments:

Post a Comment