Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Power of a Kind Word

For a "words of admiration" girl (that means kind words are my love language, they are how I feel affirmed and validated) there is nothing better than an unexpected compliment.  You may think I am bizarre but I can still remember a compliment I got 10 years ago from a simple acquaintance.  It was said in passing and I am sure she doesn't even remember saying it.  But it impacted me more than she will ever know.  I'm not saying I've thought about it constantly since then, but every once in a while it will come to mind and it ALWAYS makes me smile.  The idea that someone thinks "x" of me, has been fuel to a battered spirit more than once.

NEVER underestimate the power of a kind word.

And just as much as kind words fuel my spirit, harsh words devastate it.  It's not that I remember every harsh word ever spoken to me. God has blessed me with a memory that seems to favor only happy memories!  That being said, nothing ruins my day or my week more than hearing negative words.  Knowing I have let someone down, failed to meet their expectation or been talked about unkindly is a blow my sensitive ego has great trouble handling.  I know I shouldn't worry about what other's say and think, but it's still something I struggle with on a regular basis.  

NEVER underestimate the power of hurtful words.

Someone once told me it takes 10 positives to cancel out 1 negative.  We are programmed to focus on the bad things people say, rather than the good.  I don't know if that is true or not.  But I do know that THAT is a place where this girl would like to live!  A place where every time I feel beat down or under-appreciated there is someone waiting with 10 positive things to say!  I want to go there!

 I am surrounded by people every day, every where I go.  Some are strangers, some are friends, and some are people I dearly love.  I have hundreds of opportunities to reach out on any given day, to feed someone the words that will carry them through.  Maybe my words will go in one ear and out the other, or maybe they will be appreciated in the moment then quickly forgotten.  Or, maybe, just maybe, my words will impact someone far greater than I could ever imagine.  Maybe they will be thinking about that kind thing I said 10 years from now!

NEVER underestimate the power of a kind word.  

1 comment:

  1. I think that we should also never underestimate the power of a kind gesture. Too often we forget the power of a smile, a "hello" or "good morning" to a perfect stranger.
    I feel that sometimes we think kind words go in one ear and out the other but I am often astounded at the things people remember me having said to them or things I have done for them in the past. Things I don't remember saying or doing but that they say made such an impact on them. We are truly blessed even though me may not know or realize it!

    ReplyDelete