Friday, November 2, 2012

The Joy Comes in the Morning

My list of things to do today didn't even fit on one page.  Just looking at it made me overwhelmed.  So I did the one thing some would argue I definitely didn't have time for.  I opened my bible and read.  There was no way I was going to make it through this day without a serious dose of strength and peace from the one who has an infinite supply.  So I read.  

I read of Jesus talking to his disciples about his upcoming death.  He didn't tell them exactly what was going to happen.  He was vague, as he had a tendency to be with them.  Of course WE know what he was talking about.  Things are infinitely more clear when looking backward aren't they?  There are so many times in my life when the knowledge I have gained in retrospect would have been immeasurably helpful if it would have been foreknowledge.  But that rarely happens.  Instead we live our life, hopefully, getting smarter with each experience, understanding more the longer we live.  

Jesus tells his disciples "Now is your time of grief, but I will se you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy."  After the pain, comes the joy.  We know this... but it is SO hard to remember when you are in the midst of pain, as many of us are.  It is so hard to recognize that the pain will ease, the hurt will soften and joy will come again.  It will.  

Think of all the times in your life when you have hurt in your life.  Let's put that retrospective knowledge to the test.  Remember when the pain was sharp, real, unbearable.  Now think of the times AFTER that, when you found joy again.  When the pain lessoned and the sun began to shine.  The joy comes in the morning, after the darkest part of the night has passed.  

We know this because Jesus says it is so.  We know this because we have experienced this.  We know this because it is true.  The pain you are feeling right now, is real, it is sharp, and it hurts.  But it is not all there is.  Perhaps you are in the darkest of night right now, but remember the joy comes in the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment