Thursday, December 12, 2013

Lesson From God #2145

There are so many things that we as parents are supposed to teach our children.

Yes their teachers take the brunt of the academic teaching, PRAISE THE LORD!  But we all know how many hours we spend teaching our kindergarteners how to read, our fourth graders their multiplication facts and state capitals, and our fifth graders long division and how to write an essay. 

On top of the academic skills, we must teach our children how to ride a bike, tie their shoes, play fair and what proper hygiene looks like (on a side note my kids have not yet mastered this one!).  We are to teach them life skills like cleaning up their own messes (something my kids are doing RIGHT NOW as a matter of fact!) and helping others.  

If you are a Christian we have the added responsibility of teaching them about Christ, how to talk to Him, how to read the Bible, to memorize scripture and be humble.   We are to teach them what the big God story is and what their part in it might be.  Deuteronomy 6:7 says we are to impress God's law upon our children to talk about Him when we sit at home, when we walk along the road, when we get up and when we lie down.

Frankly, it is all a bit overwhelming.  

It seems like every moment of every day could/should/would be filled with intentional teaching of all the MANY things we are charged with passing on to those in our care.  So yesterday I sat down with my children and intentionally taught them…nothing.

Nothing.  Not one thing.  

We all snuggled together on the sofa and watched TV, mindless TV no less.  Nothing was learned, no significant memory was made, no deep conversation was had.  We simply enjoyed each other's company.  It wasn't a silly time, a serious time, or even a necessarily fun time.  It was just time, spent together.  And at the end of the day one of my little munchkins said to me, "Thanks mom, it was fun just hanging out."

Huh, who knew?

Once a week I really try to spend some time with God in silence.  This is something that  does not come naturally or easily for me.  The idea is in these moments, I am not talking TO Him, not asking for anything, just sitting with him, waiting for him to speak.  And I am quiet.  So I can hear Him.  Because let me be frank, I am a loud person, some times it is hard to hear others speak when I am moving my mouth.  So once a weak I sit and I listen so I can hear what it is God has to teach me.  Ironically today he taught me…nothing.

No profound inspiration was revealed.  There was no light bulb or big AHA! moment.  We just hung out, God and I.  And you know what?  It was fun, just hanging out with God. 
I think I expected him to teach me something each and every time I was ready to listen, but I realize know that isn't what it is about.  It's just about time, with Him.  Being there in case there is something He wants to teach me, but also understanding that won't always be the case.  Sometimes God just wants to hang out.

Huh, who knew? 

No comments:

Post a Comment