Thursday, June 28, 2012

What do you want to be when you grow up?



“What do you want to be when you grow up?” That was the question at dinner that night. We went around the table and listened as our 9 year old, 7 year old, and 4 year old all took turns answering the question and debating their answers. Then the 9 year old, innocently asked me “What about you mom? What do you want to be?” My husband and I looked at each other and chuckled. “Well, besides being your mommy, I’m a Speech Pathologist,” I answered. I knew she didn’t understand what that was, or even remember the years I spent working when she was very young. In her eyes my “job” was her and her brothers. But later that night that question popped into my mind again “What about you mom? What do you want to be?”

I had always assumed I would go back to being a Speech Language Pathologist when the time came. I had spent 10 years in the field either full or part time, before I eventually became a full time stay at home mom. I had really enjoyed speech language pathology, I loved working with the kids and their parents. I felt like I was good at what I did. But was that REALLY what I wanted to be when I “grew up?” More importantly, is that what God wanted me to be doing? All the sudden I wasn’t so sure.

I pondered that question for weeks. I talked to my husband about it, I talked to my close friends about it, I talked to God about it. And slowly, an answer started coming to me. Weeks turned into months and still I questioned, not sure I really believed the answer I was getting. God was calling me to seminary. Really? Me? Now? But, but, but... But what would you have me do with it God? Do you really want me to be a pastor? What about my writing? Do you want me to teach? Children’s Ministry? Women’s ministry? What do YOU want me to do for you?

Over the past 12 months I have asked more questions then I have received answers. But the one answer that has been consistent is “GO!”. I am confident “that he who began a good work in (me) will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Phil 1:6 (NIV) His good work in me is not finished, he has so much more planned for me, and I truly believe that the answers to many of these questions will be found Seminary.   So I'm going to listen to him...I'm going to go.  

I don't know what lies ahead, I don't know what he has planned for me.  I don't know how hard it's going to be or how many all nighters I'm going to have to pull.  Frankly, it's been awhile since I've been in school.  But I'm going to go.  It's what I'm being called to do.   

So if you want to share in this adventure with me; if you want to see what God does with this, with me, then stay tuned.  And I'll fill you in as I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment