Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I Have a Dream...

I have a dream...

No it's not the same one as Martin Luther King Jr (although I have been reading a whole lot of the original Martin Luther in class so maybe there is some subconscious aspect to this post).

But I do have a dream, and I should warn you, I tend to dream big.  

I recently celebrated a birthday, I don't think it is necessary to document which one (but for the record it wasn't REALLY my 29th).  And one of my closest friends gave me the absolute sweetest card.  Hallmark must have been thinking of me when they wrote this.  The card was all about your dream, that hidden dream so many of us have, that dream that carries you through the day to day stuff we all have to do, the one you pull out when it's just you and you let yourself dare to dream.  My friend knows me so well, she knows what my dreams are and in this card she encouraged me to follow those dreams.  She said I was one of the biggest dreamers she knew (perhaps I could also have read that as one of the most unrealistic people she knows, but I chose not to).  She even gave me a bracelet with the words "Dream Big" inscribed on it.  And I do tend to dream big...

The truly ironic thing is that as much as I love to write and love to talk, I have a very difficult time articulating what my dream is to others.  So I just quietly sit here and dream.  Can any of you relate to that?  Do any of you have a dream?  Perhaps you have shared your dream with someone and are actively pursuing it.  Perhaps you have hidden your dream so deep in your heart you barely recognize that it is there.  Perhaps you feel like you don't really have a dream, that dreaming is silly, unrealistic or useless.  Perhaps your right, but I still have a dream.

Today I stumbled across 2 Corinthians 3:3 "You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts."  That's it...that's my dream. YOU are my dream!  I love to write, I love to talk but it's not about the words written in ink or the words that come out of my mouth, it's about the mark that, I pray, it leaves on someone's heart.  It's about letting the Spirit of the living God flow through me to reach someone else.  That is my dream.  You, sweet child, are my dream!  Thank you!

Please keep dreaming, dream big, you know I will!


No comments:

Post a Comment